Sunday, March 04, 2007

Maiko Encounter

This Saturday I got a chance to see some real Maiko's (Geisha's in training) at a department store's (similar to Macy's) Kyoto fair. I was reading that after a period as short as six months or as long as five years, the Maiko can be promoted to a geisha. I took a few pictures of them with my cel phone, and so did everyone else!!! you could hear the cel phone cameras working overtime!!!!

Check out the details on the back of her Kimono.

2 Maikos are better than 1. The one in the blue is only 15 years old and the one in the black is 19 years old.

Strike a POSE!!!! Maiko style!!! Don't they look like dolls? I think that is the whole point!!

After the performance I had a chance to take a picture with the Maikos.
I took a video of them dancing with my cell phone, check it out (use the small screen) at:
Their dancing seems simple but t really is not. You noticed quickly that they can bearly walk in those super tight Kimonos it is a miracle they can even move so much!!! I had great time watching them since I know that you have to pay good money (around $200 or more) to see a real Geisha but hey I'll settle for a free viewing any day.

No comments: