Monday, September 11, 2006

Iwakuni

On Thursday I went to Iwakuni City about 1 hour away from Hiroshima with a group of friends for the day. There we where able to see the famous Kintai Bridge. This bridge is made completely of wood, without nails. The Kintai Bridge was first constructed in 1673, but has been rebuilt due to typhoon and flood damage several times over the centuries. The current bridge is a recreation of the original and was built using traditional techniques. Its five arches are a symbol of western Honshu. (reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwakuni,_Yamaguchi). Here is picture of the bridge:

The view from the bridge was absolutely mesmerizing. Here is my attempt at an artsy picture. All you art critics out there can write me a comment if you want.

Here I am in the bridge being my usual styling self (hey it's my blog and I can write whatever).

The picture above was taken by my friend Nuria who is from the Catalan region of Spain. I'm practicing how to actually pronounce all the words in Spanish like all those Z's that magically turn into S's in Puerto Rico. Here we are in the picture on the left in front of a huge water fountain in the middle of a park. I'm in the middle of the picture to the right with my friends Therese (from Ireland) and Vicky (from England). Needless to say I'm learning allot about the world here just by talking to everyone and asking my usual 10,000 questions.

Iwakuni is also famous for its white snakes (basically albino snakes). These snakes are found only in Iwakuni, and have been designated as special national treasures by the Japanese government. The white snake is a symbol of Benten, the Japanese goddess of wealth. The white snake is considered a sign of good luck in Japan. (reference: www.wikipedia.com) Here they are in all their splendor:

Overall the day turned out very well and we took all the right trains and buses, which is always good since you can't actully read anything. I love public transportation, maybe that's why we filled the car's tank today only for the second time in 2 months!!!

1 comment:

Martin and Therese said...

Top marks for the artsy picture.