Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Skiing in Japan

Last week one of my friends said "Japan is great because it is the only place I can think of where you could go golfing on one weekend and skiing the next". So I tried the last one on for size with a group of "experts". Everyone seamed to be very good at it or at least decent so I had a lot of catching up to do. In my defense, I grew up in a tropical island so in the winter we would go hit the Baseball stadium instead of the slopes. The first time I went it was absolutely horrible!!! I spent more time on the floor than on the skiing!!! Really no joke!!!! I barley made it down the beginners course in about 2 excruciating hours. The next day I was dead, every step was like being punished for all my sins at once!!! I don't even think I went outside. It hurts just to type about it!!!
The next weekend came around and I had a choice to make either stay home or try again. Fighting against my memories of extreme pain (It hurts just to type about it!!!) I decided on B. To my (and everyone else's) surprise I was actually on my feet (step 1 - the ground is not your friend - check) , going side to side (step 2 - control speed - check) and actually stoping when I wanted to (step 3 - reamain alive - check). I could not believe that I was actually skiing, It is a complete and absolute miracle!!! I'm truly proud of myself because I made it!!! (insert tears of joy here)
The most impressive part of the trip was one of our friends brought his little 9 year old daughter who had never stepped into skies in her life on the trip. She was skiing better than her dad in 2 hours!!! Wow kids really do learn fast, as in instantly. Check out the slope in the picture below:
Japan really has allot to offer. Now that spring is approaching I plan on continuing my search for those experiences.

No comments: