Friday, March 28, 2008

New beginnings

Closing time
Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end
These Lyrics for the some Closing time by the band Semisonic (yes from the best of the 90's CD) best describe my current situation. My job contract ended this month. As a result I have been thinking of allot about what this job has meant to me during the past 1.5 years. I got to the conclusion that it has affected me in a positive way personally and professionally.

Personally most of my first memories of Japan are forever linked with this job. When I began working I did not know much about Japan but many people in the office took the time to teach me about its language and culture. Some of them invited me to participate in various sporting events (volleyball, softball and golf tournaments) and work related activities (Hanami party, end of the year party etc.). In general everyone in the office was patient, understanding and accepted me the way I am (kind of laud and very straight forward). Even though sometimes we could not fully communicate or had a difference of opinion we always found a way to get our points across due to our mutual respect.

Professionally it was the first time I was able to work in the development of a vehicle from a design concept to a a working prototype in a very short period of time. This experience is truly unique in the fact that the various teams where all geographically separated. Two years ago I would have never imagined that I would be working on a vehicle that is designed in Australia, engineered in Japan and built in Thailand. Each team had a different working style which made this interaction very challenging but in the end everyone came together to complete the job. I believe that I gained allot of knowledge, in a very short period of time, that will be incredibly valuable in the future.

The last day of work I was surprised to be asked to stand up and give a speech just as I was about to leave. I was caught completely off guard by this request. Later my husband told me that this was a custom in Japan and it was pretty common around his office. A little heads up would have been nice but hey no hard feelings. So I stood up told everyone (the office translator expressed everything I said in Japanese) that it was a pleasure to have worked with them. I also stated that it was my most sincere hope that they had learned a little about me and about Puerto Rico. I think I did accomplish this because at the begging of my job one of the first things people ask you is where you from are. Every time I answered Puerto Rico they just looked at me with a blank stare. Then I would tell them that it is a little island in the Caribbean. The most common response was like the pirates? That is what happens when you let Johnny Depp represent a complete region of the world in a Disney movie. Go figure. I guess my co-workers realized that Puerto Rico was a real country when the National team played the Japan national Volleyball team. The next day everyone came over to my desk to ask if I had seen the volleyball match my response was mochiron (off course in Japanese). I did receive a few gifts that day as you can see below:

Side note: These chopsticks where the simplest but most significant gift of them all. I received these from one girl in the office who I had little interaction with due to the language barrier. She gave me these in a little bag and said "good luck". The most amazing part of it is that I could tell she was very sincere, this is coming from someone I could not even communicate with!!! Amazing!!! I guess I left a good impression.

I grabbed my gifts in one hand and waved good bye to everyone with the other as I walked out. All I was missing was a sash and a crown (which would be technically impossible to find in an office full of engineers). The next week everyone in the office organized a going away party for me. Here I am giving my thank you for everything speech in Japanese!!! I wrote the speech down so I would not forget it but I think my main points came across well.
After my speech I received more gifts!!!

As you can see from my face I was not very amused at the time but then I realized that I needed an apron and an Eco bag anyways.

I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to work while living in Japan - "some other beginning's end". Now I will concentrate on finding my "new beginning" here in Japan, whatever that may be.

2 comments:

nobody_knows said...

awww! that post actually made me a little teary.
:-C

although i can't wait to find out wtf awesome thing you're gonna do next.

i <3 your blog!

xoxo
laura

Karin said...

Estoy tan orgullosa de ti mi amiga

Bravo!!!