Monday, October 02, 2006

Normal Life

We have been here almost 3 months now and are getting used to our new surroundings well. In general we lead very normal lives except for a few things:

- Football - We watch college football games on Sundays instead of Saturdays via internet by connecting the computer to the TV. I really do miss going to the Big house (U of M football stadium) and hanging out with Lauren and all her friends. This year would have been good since Valerie (my friend Ydalmi's 3-month old Baby [blog: http://gonzalez-rodriguez.blogspot.com/]) would be quietly sitting with a little sweater on her mother's lap instead of growing inside her mother's belly while hanging out.
- Ordering pizza is an adventure - This Friday Orlando order a pizza successfully, he deserves an applause. Usually we just go get the neighbor's kid and he order for us, but we are on our way toward pizza independence.
- Going out - We still go out to eat and hang out on Fridays or Saturdays with friends. The only difference is that we don't know what we are eating and each bar we go to does not fit more than 10-15 people. Also there are so many Kareoke bars here that one does not even know where to start. This Saturday we finally went to one!!! I tried to sing Shakira's La Tortura (unfortunately Alejandro Sanz could not get his jet ready in time to fly in from Miami to sing his part) and completely butchered it. I feel really bad that everyone had to hear my horrible version to what is really a good song. Like any good Puerto Rican Orlando sang Ricky Martin's Living La Vida Loca, I think maybe because he was happy from ordering the pizza the day before. Here is the proof:



- Car - We really don't use the car at all here. My neighbors use it as a landmark to tell people where they live - "just look for the red car in front of the building". Also people worry and think something happened to us if the car is not there. So far we have only filled up the tank twice and still have half the second fill up left. Here is Orlan in our parking spot.




- Golf - I really do miss paying a reasonable amount of money to play golf. I would really consider not going to play if it was over $50 but now I can only dream of those good old days. I am not giving up though because practice amkes perfect except now there will a lot of practice in the driving range and not so much on a real course.

As you can see our livez have changed but not that much :-).

2 comments:

Martin and Therese said...

The little baby is so cute, she has the biggest eyes I've ever seen!

Fam. Gonzalez-Rodriguez said...

We miss you so much Iddya. I do, especially at lunch time at work. I got to eat by myself and don't practice Spanish at work anymore. Hopefully Sandra will get a job here so I can have someone!!!!

Can't wait to visit you next year!