Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Cherry Blossoms

The past two weeks everyone in Hiroshima (and the rest of Japan) have been going crazy looking at the cherry blossom trees, which in Japanese is call "Sakura". So Orlando and I decided to be part of the group and go look at some sakura in the nearby town of Iwakuni (see pictures below).

For more pictures Check out:
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/iddya/?action=view¤t=.my_first_widget.pbw

I recently found that it is a Japanese tradition to go to parks, shrines and temples with family and friends and hold a "flower viewing party" known as Hanami. I was invited to the Ford Hamani party and started asking around what do people actually do in these activities? Basically you talk, drink and eat while staring at a tree. I answered back that in Puerto Rico you do the same but on the beach!!! I was very surprised to see the park completely full of people on their own company's Hanami party. Everyone seemed very happy, the party next to us was even singing and dancing (if you can call it that) or maybe it was just too much sake (rice wine)? I will have to investigate further next year because the sakura is already dying!! Here is a picture of the many Hamani Party in the Peace Memorial Park.

We also visited Shukkeien gardens just 3 blocks from our apartment. It only took us 9 months to go check it out!?!?!?!? That's normal? right..?


Ok that's enough tree watching, at least next year I know what to expect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Iddya. I'm glad you left a note so that I could find your blog--it's really interesting to see everything you have posted. The cherry blossoms are beautiful. I hope you are having fun!

Clemente said...

Hola

Me alegra poder saludarlos nuevamente. Si no me recuerdan soy el fanático de voleibol que visite Japón en el pasado mes de noviembre. Veo que han aprovechado cada momento en ese gran país. No hay tiempo para aburrirse. Siempre tiene una actividad y algo que aprender. Además sacan un poco de su tiempo para trasmitirnos sus experiencias. Muchas gracias. Que dio lo bendiga y los cuide mucho.
Afectuoso saludo y abrazos

Luís Clemente